Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Who Is This Guy Called My Brother??

Tuesday, February 23, 2010


HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JAMES!  Yep, it's my brothers birthday today!  It would be rude of me to tell you how old he is, but I will say that that I'll be 50 this year and he's 17 months older than me......  Anyway, I want to tell you a little bit about my bro, James.

He's been blessed, thus far, to avoid being Blogged about (my family cringes each time I blog...) but today is a very special day, so lucky him; it's his day!!

You know, I used to always say "Our family had two too many kids in it" seeing as my parents had three kids.......but not any more.   He has grown into a man that I am so very very proud and appreciative of.  When we were growing up, James (he was known by Eddie then...) never talked.  I mean, NEVER talked.  Matter of fact, he may have had 17 months on me, but Mom told me I taught HIM how to talk.  He's continud to be a man of few words and MY mouth has never stopped, but that's beside the point.  I will say that when he did utter a few words, people listened.  Entire rooms would go silent just to hear what he had to say.  Used to drive me CRAZY cause no one ever listened to me.......(that's right; it's ALL about Liz......)

A lot has happened between the time we were children wrestling on the living room floor on Friday nights with Dad saying, "Someone's Going To Get Hurt!" to having him drive me to school in downtown Dallas with only a gallon of gas in his car at a time (how many times did we run out of gas??); to witnessing a brand new expression never before seen on his face when his son, Lance was born; to watching his devotion, tenderness and love towards my Mom as he helps her do things that once came simple for her.  He has turned into a man I greatly respect; a man who loves his family and loves God.

And I love you, James.......


11 comments:

Debbie said...

I have to agree with my Sister, which is happening more often the older we get (she's getting so much wiser with age). I want to wish our brother a very very Happy Birthday. We were going to surprise him today and take him out for dinner, but at last, once it again we are having a snow storm in Texas, and all the other people on the road have requested Liz and I stay home, as we are truly Texans and have no business on the road in the snow.

But back to James. I want him to know that I could not have asked for a better baby brother. He is the quiet one, the wise one, and probably the most balanced one. He loves his family, and it's not just in words but in his kind, tender, and thoughtful actions toward our Mom. He is patient and considerate with our Dad, supportative and loving to myself and Liz and he stands taller in my daughters eyes than I think he realizes. His love for Lance is unconditional and without boundaries and none of us will ever know all the sacrificies he has made to ensure Lance has all the advantages a parent wants for his child. And Ellen, well you can tell how he feels toward her by the way he looks at her.

I love you James, and Happy Birthday.

Anonymous said...

He looks alot like you. I never noticed before, course I have only seen him a couple of times. I love your blog. Read it daily. Please don't miss too many days. You are so funny, you crack me up daily. So much happensd to you and your family. Miss visiting with you. Wish you were still my neighbor. Later.
Joy

Anonymous said...

What I want to know is, How did the two of you get so oooooooooooold?

Tom

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed hearing about "Eddie"! It's been years and years since I have seen him and he really doesn't look much different! I remember that in school we often sat next to each other since our last names both began with "ca". But you are right, I don't remember him saying much of anything. I think he started to talk in about sixth or seventh grade, and then only to say something that really needed to be said to someone who really needed to hear it!!! He was always the one who seemed in control and having it all together. I wish I hadn't of talked so much. Maybe others would have seen me that way too!!!!

Hugs, Julie

Anonymous said...

Very nice blog ... I think you brother will be ok with this ;-)

Mike

Anonymous said...

Good one, but I'm biased. ;)

Ellen

Anonymous said...

Yes, Eddie, now James, was always quiet. Not quiet, like I'm shy, but like I'll talk when I have something to say. Truly enjoy your blog. So to the point. Keep up the good work.

Debra Blackwell

Anonymous said...

Aww, that's so sweet Liz - Please Tell him happy birthday for me too !!!
Denise

Anonymous said...

When do you turn 50? I am turning 50 in March...ugh!!!

Donitta

Anonymous said...

thanks for your tribute to James! Send him Happy irthday wishes from me and a birthday card is coming.
take care.
the plans you outlined sound fabulous.I am packed
and ready to hit the road.
ant ellie

Anonymous said...

Gee, i remember Eddie from school, and we talked alot - maybe it was because of the sports that we participated in hmmm, he was quiet sometimes, but weren't we all lol - if i saw him right now it would still be Eddie - Happy Birthday Jan